I came across to Social Sunday through a couple of friends’ blogs, and here I am, joining the ride. And the topic couldn’t be any better since I as well as my hubby love traveling – near, far, anywhere.
1. What’s the best trip you’ve been on? I have a bit hard time to name only one awesome trip, after traveling in tens of countries on five of seven continents. Out of the trips I have done before even met my husband, I would think the best one was a couple of weeks I spent in Scotland. But then on the other hand I love France. Even a thought of France makes me smile, and miss all those little towns as well as shopping in Paris. Most of all, I love to speak French. Then on the other hand, I also love Australia: the wildlife, awesome backpacking trips, scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef…….
The best trip with my husband has probably been either our honeymoon in O’ahu, or vacation in Maui where we got also engaged. They both were great, wonderful trips with tons of activities from scuba and snorkeling to hiking, and just being lazy beach bums (although my laziness lasts less than 15 minutes, after that I rather go running or something)….
2. What’s the best idea for a girls weekend trip? For girls’ weekend I would choose a long weekend in New York: it’s a perfect mix of wining&dining, Broadway is always a must, shopping is great, and Central Park’s 6-mile loop makes running addict’s day :-)
3. Best idea for a couple’s trip? Ski trip to Vail – hands down. It’s one of the most awesome ski spots. And lodging at Vail Mountain Lodge is my all time favorite, not only for the resort itself but I have fallen in love with their awesome spa.
4. Best cheap vacation? My cheapest vacations have probably been backpacking trips in Asia: after paying the flights, staying at non-branded hotels or B&B type of places is very inexpensive, and food is cheap outside the bigger cities. Although you may not always want to try to know too many details about the meals…..
Out of Alaska the most inexpensive vacation options are road trips. Flights from Anchorage even to Seattle cost frequently more than flights from the east coast to Europe… However, I enjoy going to see my in-laws who are not only awesome people but they also live close to Chicago, one of my favorite cities. So when visiting them, I can combine seeing my favorite people and getting my city time. And save at least a few $$$ in accommodation.
5. Place you most want to visit? New Zealand. Tanzania and Kenya aka Photo Safari. Antarctica. Galapagos Islands. Our travel destination list is never ending. When we get one or two places checked, we usually come up with five more ….
6. Vacation necessities: Good company is a must – if I am not traveling alone. Luckily my husband is the most awesome travel buddy. Beyond that, I travel very, very light. There is no way that I would be one of the travelers having 28 outfits for a week-long trip. I often have less than five outfits altogether, including my workout gear. If I really need something, I can always go and buy it. But what I save weight-wise with the outfits, I use with the photo gear: my professional stuff goes everywhere with me, and it includes laptop for editing, memory card readers, tripods…. And lastly, most of the time I do have my iPhone and iPad with me.